Eric R. Harlan is a partner in the Firm’s litigation department and co-chair of the Employment Law Group at Shapiro Sher. During more than 20 years as a trial lawyer, he has achieved favorable results for clients in a variety of matters, including employment litigation, complex commercial disputes, wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury litigation, and domestic actions.
Mr. Harlan represents large and small businesses, non-profits, and individuals, counseling them on a broad range of commercial, employment, domestic, and personal injury matters. He is experienced in the prosecution and defense of commercial tort actions, fraud litigation, actions involving non-compete and non-solicitation agreements, unfair competition, federal and state wage-and-hour matters, fiduciary litigation and complex domestic disputes.
A cum laude graduate of Washington & Lee University, and a magna cum laude graduate of the University of Baltimore School of Law, Mr. Harlan began practicing in 1995 after clerking for the Honorable Joseph H.H. Kaplan, Administrative Judge of the Circuit Court for Baltimore City. Mr. Harlan is active in the American Bar Association and in the Baltimore legal community.
- Member, Maryland Bar Association
- Member, Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Member, Baltimore County Bar Association
- Co-Chair, Trial Evidence Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Litigation
- Vice-Chair, Trial Evidence Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Litigation (2014-2015)
- Co-chair, Programming of Trial Evidence Committee of the American Bar Association Section of Litigation (2010 – 2013)
- St. Joseph Medical Center Cancer Institute Board of Visitors (2010 - 2012)
- Co-chair, Expert Witness Subcommittee of the Trial Evidence Committee of the ABA Section of Litigation (2006 - 2009)
- Member, Case Note Editorial Board for the Trial Evidence Committee of the ABA Section of Litigation (2004-2005)
- Executive Committee, Maryland Lawyers Campaign for College Bound, 2006-present
- J. Dudley Digges Inn of Court, Barrister (2006-2007); Executive Committee, Counselor (2008-2011)
- Panelist and Presenter, "CPAs and Business Valuators as Expert Witnesses," a mock trial presented before the Maryland Association of CPAs (2005)
- Member, Heuisler Honor Society
- Articles Editor, University of Baltimore Law Review
- Chief Justice, University of Baltimore Honor Court
News & Publications
Eleven Shapiro Sher attorneys are cited in Maryland Super Lawyers 2016
Fourteen Shapiro Sher Guinot & Sandler are cited in Maryland Super Lawyers 2015, including one attorney listed as a Top 10 Maryland lawyer, two listed in the Top 100, and four “Rising Stars.”
Eric R. Harlan and Renée Lane-Kunz gave an employment law seminar for the Association of Legal Administrators, Maryland Chapter.
Shapiro Sher's Spring 2014 Employment Law Report focuses on the cyber threats faced by small and medium-sized businesses and the cybersecurity regulations that will impact them most.
The new Maryland Super Lawyers list, just published by Thomson Reuters, names nearly all of the Firm's attorneys, including four lawyers identified as “Rising Stars” of the legal community.
Read Shapiro Sher's July 2013 Employment Law Update
Read Shapiro Sher Guinot & Sandler's Employment Law Report for May 2013.