Founded by renowned sports agent Ronald M. Shapiro, our Firm has a long history in the business of sports. We continue to handle a broad range of transactions and development projects for sports franchises and other clients involved in professional athletics. We serve clients connected with football, baseball, basketball, horseracing, auto racing, and golf. We aid business entities and individuals in acquiring sports franchises; financing, building, and developing all types of sports facilities and surrounding property; and commercializing and protecting sports-related brands and intellectual property. We also handle contract and endorsement planning for many well-known athletes. Our sports-industry clients benefit by working with a group of attorneys with years of experience in commercial real estate, tax, corporate, securities and intellectual property law related to the sports industry.
- Assisting with the protection and disposition of athlete likeness, franchise brands, copyrights, trademarks, and other intangible assets for several high-profile sports figures and a variety of entities founded by baseball legend Cal Ripken, Jr., and his family.
- Assisting with the financing, formation and development of Baltimore Racing Development, the entity tasked with bringing the Indy Racing League’s Grand Prix to Baltimore in 2011.
- Serving as regular outside counsel to Ripken Baseball Group, which owns three minor league baseball teams across the country and two youth sports facilities; work includes acquisitions, licensing, and general corporate matters.
- Handling the legal aspects of developing the Ripken Stadium Complex, in Aberdeen, Maryland, which consists of a 6,000-seat minor league stadium, a 3,500-seat youth stadium (a miniature replica of Camden Yards), a multi-field youth baseball academy, and a hotel.
- Serving as outside general counsel to a tax-exempt organization that owns and operates sports facilities nationwide serving disadvantaged youth.
- Assisted in the development of Baltimore Ravens training facility in Owings Mills, Maryland.