Daniel J. Zeller is a partner in the Firm’s Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring Group. Mr. Zeller has been with the firm since completing a federal clerkship in October 2008. His practice involves all aspects of core bankruptcy matters under the Bankruptcy Code, as well as focuses on prosecuting and defending myriad complex bankruptcy and commercial-related litigation. Mr. Zeller has concentrated on various facets of insolvency law, including:
- reorganizations and liquidations under Chapters 7 and 11;
- representing debtors, bankruptcy trustees, and secured and unsecured creditors;
- avoidance actions, safe-harbor issues, discharge and dischargeability issues, and turnover proceedings;
- commercial and financial litigation in state and federal courts; and
- sales and dispositions of businesses and assets through insolvency proceedings.
As part of the Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring Group, Mr. Zeller has worked extensively on the bankruptcy case of TMST, Inc. (f/k/a Thornburg Mortgage, Inc.) with respect to:
- structuring asset sales and disposition;
- analyzing of repurchase, derivative, and structured finance transactions;
- addressing mortgage loan-servicing issues; and
- prosecuting causes of actions against various investment banks.
Prior to joining Shapiro Sher, Mr. Zeller served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Robert A. Gordon and the Honorable Duncan W. Keir of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland. Mr. Zellers has also served as a law clerk intern for the United States Attorney's Office. During law school, he was employed as a data analyst for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services in the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, maintaining a direct role in regulatory enforcement policy and earning several awards for distinguished service.
Mr. Zeller graduated summa cum laude from Western Maryland College with a Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology in 1999. In 2005, he graduated with honors from the University of Maryland School of Law. Mr. Zeller is a member of Phi Beta Kappa and the Order of the Coif and has been named a "rising star" in Maryland Super Lawyers.
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Bankruptcy Bar Association of Maryland
- Member, Baltimore City Bar Association
News & Publications
For the latest issue of Trial Evidence, a publication of the ABA Litigation Section, Anastasia L. McCusker and Daniel J. Zeller write on the intersection of summary judgment motions and motions in limine.
Anastasia L. McCusker and Daniel J. Zeller write for the ABA's Bankruptcy & Insolvency Litigation newsletter.
Anastasia L. McCusker and Daniel J. Zeller write for Practice Points, a publication of the ABA Section of Litigation.
Eleven Shapiro Sher attorneys are cited in Maryland Super Lawyers 2016
Fourteen Shapiro Sher Guinot & Sandler are cited in Maryland Super Lawyers 2015, including one attorney listed as a Top 10 Maryland lawyer, two listed in the Top 100, and four “Rising Stars.”
Daniel J. Zeller is named partner in the firm's Bankruptcy & Financial Restructuring Group.
The new Maryland Super Lawyers list, just published by Thomson Reuters, names nearly all of the Firm's attorneys, including four lawyers identified as “Rising Stars” of the legal community.
Maryland Super Lawyers cites 15 Shapiro Sher Guinot & Sandler attorneys in its just-released 2013 list.