Alex J. Brown heads the Firm’s insurance law practice. He represents national insurance companies, insurance producers and other professionals, and on occasion, commercial policyholders in complex insurance coverage disputes, business torts, contractual and other commercial disputes. Alex has served as primary counsel in state and federal court matters throughout the country. As a former Assistant Attorney General and Senior Counsel to the Maryland Insurance Administration, Alex also has extensive experience helping clients through administrative proceedings, market conduct exams, and other regulatory matters.
Alex also advises in transactions involving insurance coverage, including the formation and operation of insurance entities, including captives and risk retention groups. As Mr. Brown does not sell insurance, he is frequently asked to provide guidance on commercial clients’ insurance portfolios, and on corporate risk management policies and procedures.
He is the author of the blog Business Insurance Attorney which may be found here http://www.businessinsuranceattorney.com
Notable representations have included the following:
- Obtained a defense ruling, after trial, on behalf of a large national insurer against claims that the insurer had terminated the producer "arbitrarily, capriciously, unfairly, and discriminatorily,” in violation of Maryland insurance law.
- Lead counsel in a jury trial against UBS Financial and others, based on claims of breach of contract, negligence, negligent supervision, and conversion of client funds; the litigation resulted in a jury verdict of $1.4 million, plus punitive damages of $300,000.
- Represents a large national insurer in a variety of complex actions pertaining to insurance coverage, claims handling, producer conduct and operations, and a wide variety of other civil and administrative matters.
- Successfully represented multiple Maryland insurance producers whose licenses have been revoked, some clients have paid small fines, with no revocation or suspension, another had her license revocation reduced to a two-month suspension.
- Represented commercial entity and individual licensed as insurance producers in relation to public adjusting business; successfully negotiated the payment of a fine rather than revocation or suspension.
- Successfully represented apartment-complex owners in a claim for property damage and liability coverage arising from an outbreak of Legionnaire’s disease; the case resulted in the insurer withdrawing its denial of the claim and providing coverage.
- Led the drafting of an appellate brief on behalf of the Maryland Insurance Commissioner that was upheld by Maryland’s highest court.
- Successfully defended the Maryland Insurance Commissioner in the determination that a large national insurer’s handling of a property-damage claim was “arbitrary and capricious,” an exceedingly difficult standard to meet under Maryland insurance statutes.
- Successfully defended a large national insurer against a complex property-damage claim, resulting in a resolution of the claim for a fraction of the claimed amount.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute; Insurance Committee and CGL Subcommittee
News & Publications
Alex Brown was a featured speaker at the Insurance Roundtable of Baltimore's 70th Annual F. Addison Fowler Fall Seminar in Hunt Valley, Maryland. Mr. Brown delivered a presentation on Insurance Coverage Issues in Real Estate Development and Construction.
Shapiro Sher Partner Alex Brown believes Maryland should penalize health insurers for bad-faith coverage denials.
Read the full article on Business Insurance Attorney Blog
Alex Brown discusses local businesses and insurance claims in the Freddie Gray aftermath.
Shapiro Sher's Alex J. Brown is interviewed by the Maryland Daily Record.
Fourteen Shapiro Sher Guinot & Sandler are cited in Maryland Super Lawyers 2015, including one attorney listed as a Top 10 Maryland lawyer, two listed in the Top 100, and four “Rising Stars.”
The Maryland Daily Record today features Shapiro Sher's newest partner Alex Brown.